Welcome to Top Ten Tuesday where I compile a bookish list of 10 things each week. Today’s list is childhood favorites and wow, this was easy to write!
- Anne of Green Gables series by Lucy Maud Montgomery – I read this series multiple time and had the biggest crush on Gilbert.
- Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder – I was obsessed with this TV series and the books. I think this was my first determination that the “book is better than the show”.
- The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett – I had a teacher read this aloud to us in school. She frequently did this and was one of my favorite teachers.
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott – what’s not to love about this book? Fun fact: my 15-year-old daughter will be in this musical this fall. I can’t wait!
- The Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene – these were my first exposure to the mystery genre. I read every one I could get my hands on.
- Ramona Quimby, Age 8 by Beverly Cleary – I read this book too many times to count. It’s one of my very favorites.
- Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss – Another instance of the book being better than the movie!
- Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey
- The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis – I still love anything by C.S. Lewis. He is timeless and I have always been impressed by his ability to have written for both children and adults.
- Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White – Am I the only one who loved Templeton, the rat?
What was your favorite childhood book?
Little Women! I can definitely remember crying while reading that book as a kid.
That is awesome about your daughter.
Me too!! We joke that we don’t know how we’re going to cope if she’s cast as Beth. 😭
OH! Yeah, I don’t think I could watch my daughter play that roll.
I didn’t know there had ever been a Swiss Family Robinson film. I liked the book growing up, though.
Yes! It was Disney. I loved it almost as much as the book.
Little Women is the best!
We have many books in common!
We sure do!! ❤️
These are all great picks, only one I haven’t read is Swiss Family Robinson. And I…had no idea there was a Little Women musical. That is fantastic news, both to my ears and concerning your daughter’s achievement.
The music is BEAUTIFUL (I may have heard it a few times). I can’t wait to see it come to life. ❤️
Alana from Dream Come Review
I just had a conversation with my husband about reading childhood favorites to our daughter now that she is getting older. This was a brilliant starter 😊
Much ado about Little Women
I have to admit, I’m pretty jealous there are stage plays and musicals of Little Women and still I haven’t come across any in Sydney…! What a thrill it must be to know your daughter will be performing in one of your favorite childhood books 🙂 Re: Gilbert Blythe – rarity among men, even book characters!